According to this report last year, Malaysia's digital advertising expenditure (adex) is expected to reach RM1.3 billion in 2018 , over...
Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo said digital and mobile adex had made a phenomenal surge while newspaper and free television witnessed a slide.
By referring to an industry report, he said by the middle of 2019, digital media, newspaper and television (free-to-air and pay TV combined) would each command approximately 25% of adex.
Let's refer to another data perspective by Statista, on digital advertising spend in Malaysia. Do take note that this is algorithm-based calculation without in-depth analysis.
Below is the YoY forecast of Malaysia's digital spend by Statista:
- 2017: USD341 million (RM1.40 billion)
- 2018: USD432 million (RM1.77 billion)
- 2019: USD548 million (RM2.24 billion)
- 2020: USD692 million (RM2.83 billion)
- 2021: USD864 million (RM3.53 billion)
- 2022: USD1,059 million (RM4.33 billion)
- 2023: USD1,266 million (RM5.18 billion)
In fact, it has been forecasted at more than 20% YoY growth from 2017 all the way to 2023, representing a bright future for the digital marketing industry.
The report has also shown the breakdown of digital advertising by media. Let's drill down the data for 2019 below:
- Social Media Advertising: USD312.6 million (RM1.28 billion)
- Search Advertising: USD135.0 million (RM552 million)
- Video Advertising: USD72.4 million (RM296 million)
- Classifieds: USD28.1 million (RM115 million)