TikTok advertising has been made available for brands in Malaysia recently. 3 ad formats to choose from: Brand Takeover, In-Feed & #Challenge.
With 4 million TikTok users in Malaysia, it is becoming another mainstream social platform for brands and advertisers to consider, especially for those who are targeting the younger audience.
Shopee with #ShopeeSharkMY and McDonald's with #BigMacTikTok campaign are among the first advertisers who ride on the TikTok's wave in Malaysia. Guardian and Watsons followed suit too.
TikTok advertising solutions
There are 3 TikTok ad formats available:
- Brand Takeover
#1. Brand Takeover
This is an exclusive placement:
- Full-screen exposure (when TikTok is launched)
- One advertiser per day
- Direct users to a brand's landing page or hashtag challenge on TikTok
Costing & deliverables for Brand Takeover:
- RM1X,XXX total (contact us for pricing)
- USD2.5 CPM
- 1,000,000+ impressions
In-Feed is a native ad format:
- Vertical video ads with 5-15 seconds in length showing up in "For You" page
- Supports call-to-action, like app downloads (both App Store and Google Play) and site visits
In-Feed: One Day Max vs Brand Premium
There are 2 types of In Feed ads: One Day Max and Brand Premium
One Day Max:
- Daily exclusive
- The 1st in-feed ad
- RMX,XXX total
- USD2.5 CPM
- 500,000 guaranteed impressions
- Show ad within the first 80 videos
- 4 advertisers per day
- 300,000 - 400,000 impressions per day, enjoy more flexibility
- USD2 CPM
In-Feed: Direct Native Ad
This requires an official brand TikTok account and a brand homepage:
- Clicking on the profile photo direct users to your brand homepage
- Clicking on the bottom banner direct users to your landing page or app download page
- Suitable for generating engagement
In-Feed: Direct Diversion Ad
TikTok Account and In-App brand homepage are not required:
- Clicking on the profile photo or bottom banner directs user to the landing page or app download page
- Suitable for generating traffic to website
In-Feed: Direct Native Ad vs Direct Diversion Ad
Basically, both Direct Native Ad and Direct Diversion Ad are able to generate video views to boost your brand awareness.
However, go for Direct Native Ad if your priority is video views and engagement, otherwise Direct Diversion Ad if you intend to drive app installs or traffic to an external URL.
There are 3 types of TikTok #Challenge:
- Official #Challenge: Commercial availability only in USA, Japan and Taiwan, scheduled to be available in Malaysia by Q1 2019
- Mini #Challenge: Just being released in Malaysia after USA, Japan and Taiwan
- User #Challenge: Non-commercial
#Challenge: Mini #Challenge
#Challenge is the DNA of TikTok so without a doubt, this is the main advertising product being offered like what we have witnessed via Shopee and McDonald's x TikTok campaigns.
With Mini #Challenge:
- #Challenge title is allowed to be added to the ad caption
- The #Challenge will not be deleted during the campaign delivery period
- Account protection: The advertiser's account will not be reset due to auditing or user complaints during the delivery period
Advertisers can opt to book Brand Takeover and / or In-Feed ads to promote Mini #Challenge campaign.
Hope you have a better idea by now on how TikTok advertising works. Contact us if you wish to explore further on TikTok campaign.